Here is an interesting video from an event called “Games Meet Films” with a panel discussion and Q&A at Pienwood Studios on 16th February and hosted by Dennis Weinreich (MD of Film and TV Post Production at Pinewood Studios Group).
They talk about the audio production process on games and films and discuss what the two industries can learn from each other and what are the challenges there.
- Nigel Bennett – Re-recording Mixer / Post Production Operations Manager, Pinewood
- Brendan Nicholson – Re-recording Mixer, Pinewood; Glen Gathard, Mixer/editor, Pinewood
- Mike Wabro – Sound Designer, Reelsound
- Alex Joseph – Freelance Sound Designer
- Richard Jacques – Celebrated composer
- James Hannigan – Celebrated composer
- Jerry Ibbotson – Creative Manager, Media Mill
- Jon Vincent – Audio Director, Ubisoft and Dan Bardino, Creative Services Manager, Sony
- 00:00 – Why are we here?
- 02:00 – Pinewood Studios Promo
- 06:46 – Panel Introductions
- 10:00 – Games Audio Workflow
- 14:45 – Film Audio Workflow
- 30:10 – How Games make car sound effects
- 39:45 – How Games use music – Richard Jacques
- 48:18 – Harry Potter – blowing up a piano example
- 53:00 – Slumdog Millionaire – creating emotion with sound
- 66:45 – Film – old school rules still apply