Did you participate in the recent Sound Design Competition created by Blastwave FX? Did you like it? The Hollywood Edge is also announcing a new Sound Design Contest, with the re-introduction of its Community forums.
For those unfamiliar, the community is simply a location for not only THE users, but for all amateur and professional musicians and sound designers to network and discuss the latest going-ons in the world of audio or entertainment. We also will be holding monthly contests in which you will be available to show off your creativity in a chance to win one of a select few sound effect sets from our inventory.
I’d like to kick off our second contest of which I hope to become a series. We’ve created a video with very little sound. As you’ll see by watching it, it’s very boring and not entertaining at all to watch… The contestant’s job will be to take the ZIP file of sounds I’ve linked to at the bottom of this post, and make it entertaining.
There are around 80 sound effects included, and you are free to use our 99 Free Sound Effects located on hollywoodedge.com. You’re welcome to dub any vocals you’d like, but to keep things fair we’re limiting the actual sound effect usage to what we’re providing for free.
All entries will be due by Thanksgiving (November 26, 2009). Submit your entry on the contest thread.
Suggestions (by T.H.E):
- Be creative– there’s a lot of sounds in there, some that would seem to fit in the video and some that would not. Don’t feel constricted to make things too “real;” explore what you can do with sounds that may not match the environment.
- Your goal will be simply to make it entertaining, with a hope that any viewer will not feel that they’ve wasted two minutes of their lives by watching it. Be as abstract and creative and wacky as you’d like—this contest will be judged solely on entertainment.
- Regardless of the number of contestants, if your creativity is even somewhere close to where I believe it to be, I believe that this will be a pretty entertaining gig. Be creative: don’t always adhere to what’s expected.
- First place: Will receive their choice of one of our new sets (Alien Machine Shop, The Edge 3, Cosmic Environments, or Musical Accents).
- Second and third place: May choose between any of the Premiere Edition 8, 9 or 10 sets.
Winning videos will put up here on the community and on our YouTube page. One entry per contestant.
If you have any problems with anything regarding the contest, simply leave a comment and I’ll try to help you.