February’s Featured Sound Designer: Peter Albrechtsen
This year is going fast, huh? After the great visit of Tim Walston, let’s go with another film sound special! It’s a pleasure for me to announce the visit of Peter Albrechtsen for the month of February. Peter is a true master of sound, with an incredible vision and talent. This is going to be fantastic.
Peter Albrechtsen has been a professional sound designer, sound re-recording mixer and an all around sound effects nerd for 10 years now.
If you’ve seen The Kingdom by Lars von Trier, that was actually the hospital where Peter was born 34 years ago – no wonder he later got a taste for horror films. The first love, though, was music: Coming from a home filled to the brim with records and tape recordings, it was very natural for Peter to play music and he’s been trained in classical piano and also played in several bands both as a drummer, bass player and vocalist. When one of his bands recorded an album in the early 1990’s Peter got an instant fascination for the tricks of the sound studio and when attending the European Film College in 1995/96 he started doing sound for movies, which was one of the other major interests of his youth.
Peter attended The Danish Film School from 1997 to 2001 and has since then worked on about 70 productions in both Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the US. He has worked as both production sound mixer, sound effects editor, supervising sound editor, sound designer, sound re-recording mixer and music supervisor (ooh, all these titles) and his cv includes both feature films, documentaries, short films and a couple of tv shows. Last year Peter became part of a new studio facility, tonemasters.dk, together with five colleagues but he still works freelance on different projects both back home in Copenhagen and around the world.
Awards & Nominations
- Golden Reel Nomination for Best Sound Editing: Sound Effects, Foley,Dialogue and ADR in a Feature Foreign Language Film – The Girl Withthe Dragon Tattoo
- True Award for Best Sound Design in a Danish Commercial – Ikea commercial by Martin de Thurah
- Danish Academy Award Nomination (Robert) for Best Sound Design – Dag och natt/Day and Night
- Babycall (2011) – Sound re-recording mixer
- Magic Valley (2010) – Sound designer
- Smukke mennesker/Nothing’s All Bad (2010) – Sound re-recording mixer
- Min bedste fjende/My good enemy (2010) – Sound designer/sound re-recording mixer
- Dromme i Kobenhavn/Copenhagen Dreaming (2009) – Sound designer/sound re-recording mixer
- Antichrist (2009) – Sound effects editor
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) – Sound effects editor
- Kollegiet/Room 205 (2007) – Sound designer/sound re-recording mixer
- Supervoksen/Triple Dare (2006) – Sound designer/sound re-recording mixer
- Mun mot mun/Mouth to Mouth (2005) – Sound effects designer/sound re-recording mixer
- Dag och natt/Day and Night (2004) – Sound designer