February will be a great month for Designing Sound. We’ll have a lot of great stuff, starting with this month’s featured sound designer: Charles Deenen.
In a career that has spanned more than twenty years, Charles has leant his hand to over 200 games, numerous films, and dozens of film trailers.
In the 80’s, Charles and a partner founded the world’s first company dedicated to producing audio for computers. Charles’ work was eventually noticed by Interplay Entertainment, he moved from the Netherlands to work on Baldur’s Gate, Fallout, and Star Trek game franchises, among others.
In 2000, Charles took a break from the gaming industry to pursue sound design for films. During that time, he worked on two Fast and Furious films , among others. This work translated into a passion for fast cars, loud sound, and the ultimate pursuit of emotionally-engaging audio. Alongside long-format sound design, Charles continues to contribute to Hollywood’s trailer advertising arm.
Charles returned to game audio on the Matrix franchise for Shiny Entertainment in 2002. This led to a full time position in the role of Senior Audio Director at Electronic Arts Vancouver. Here, he managed to combine his fascination for fast cars with his history in games on the Need for Speed series.
Currently living in Port Moody, BC with his lovely wife Ana, he enjoys spending his spare-time withpPhotography, music remixing and watching movies.
- Need for Speed – Franchise (2003 and up) – Sr. Audio Director (Blackbox) & Sound Designer
- The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) – Sound effects editor
- The Incredible Hulk (2008) – Sound effects editor
- Skate – Franchise – Sr. Audio Director (Blackbox) & Add’nl Re-recording mixer/designer
- NBA Street Homecourt (2007) – Sound designer and Sound re-recording mixer
- Enter the Matrix (Video Game) (2003) – Audio Director & Sound Designer
- Baldur’s Gate – Franchise (1993-2001) Audio Director
- Star Trek – Franchise @ Interplay (1993-2001) – Audio Director & Re-Recording Mixer
- The Fast and the Furious – Sound designer
- 2 Fast 2 Furious – Sound designer
- Fallout – Franchise – (1994-2001) – Audio Director
- Icewind Dale – Audio Director
- Descent – Franchise – (1995-2000) Sound designer and Sound re-recording mixer
- Trailers: Clash of the Titans, Salt, Fast & Furious, Hancock, Dark Knight, 10000BC & many more