I’m excited to announce a new sound design competition, developed in collaboration between Waves Audio and Designing Sound, with a Sound Design Suite Native (or a different Waves bundle or upgrade of equivalent value) as the prize for the winner.
- Download the competition package that includes a clip from Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed™ (courtesy of Electronic Arts) and sound effects (courtesy of The Hollywood Edge).
- Using those sounds, and the plugins in the Waves Sound Design Suite (a demo of it), design the sound for the clip. You may also use your DAW’s native processing tools but you’re not allowed to record or manipulate other sounds or use third party plugins. You can only use your DAW and the sound effects included in the competition package, and there should not be any other plugin that is not included in the Waves Sound Design Suite.
- Then upload the video to the specified address and tell how you used Waves plugins to design the sounds of the clip
Deadline and Judges
The Waves Sound Design Competition will run from February 1st until February 28th 2011, and the winner will be announced shortly thereafter.
The judges will be four sound design masters:
- Scott Martin Gershin (Star Trek, Hellboy 2, Chronicles of Riddick, American Beauty).
- Charles Deenen (Need for Speed, Fast & Furious 1 and 2).
- David Farmer (Lord of the Rings Trilogy, King Kong, The Incredible Hulk, The Arrival).
- Tom Ozanich (Kill Bill: Vol. 2, The Incredible Hulk, Speed Racer, 2 Fast 2 Furious).
Learn How to Use the Suite
During all this month I’ll be publishing several articles about the use of Waves plugins on sound design. I’ll give you my personal opinion about each plugin included in the suite and I’ll also include all kind of exclusive anecdotes, opinions, tips and tricks from professional sound designers. You can find all those links grouped here.
The plugins included in the Sound Design Suite are tools used everyday by many professionals in the sound industry, so I think sharing opinions and tricks about those plugins will be useful for many of you. Also, that will give lots of ideas to the participants of the competition.
Good luck and enjoy!