Dolby Surround 7.1 and Dolby Axon; Advances in Sound Technology for Cinema and Video Games
Recently, Dolby has unveiled two new technologies, both for films and video games.
The first surprise is the announce of Dolby Surround 7.1 at ShoWest 2010.
Dolby Laboratories, Inc. announced it is working with Walt Disney Pictures(R) and Pixar(R) Animation Studios to deliver a new audio format, Dolby(R) Surround 7.1. Disney(R) and Pixar have stated that Dolby Surround 7.1 will be launched in select theatres with the release of Toy Story(R) 3 in 3D this June.
- Brings a more exciting sensory experience to audiences for 2D and gives content creators control over audio placement in a theatre when mixing 3D movies. The ability to compose audio with visual elements of 3D allows content creators to immerse the audience deeper into the movie with dramatic realism.
- Provides content creators four surround zones to better orchestrate audio channels in a movie theatre environment. The four surround zones incorporate the traditional Left Surround and Right Surround with new Back Surround Left and Back Surround Right zones. The addition of the two Back Surround zones enhances directionality in panning 360 degrees around the theatre.
- Comprises 8 channels of audio and has the following channel layout: Left, Center, Right, Low-Frequency Effects (LFE), Left Surround, Right Surround, Back Surround Left (new), and Back Surround Right (new). In order for exhibitors to deliver the new format, Dolby will be providing Dolby Surround 7.1 playback capabilities in the Dolby CP650 and Dolby CP750 digital cinema audio processor lines.
The other new technology was announced at GDC. It’s called Axon, which provides innovative features to voice conversations in video games:
Dolby® Axon represents the future of voice communication for online games and virtual worlds. Crafted from the ground up specifically for game developers, Dolby Axon enables a realistic 3D voice experience that matches the game environment and greatly expands game-play possibilities.
A host of innovative features makes Dolby Axon unique and flexible, including 3D voice capabilities. Distance attenuation makes voices become louder as players approach one another within the game, or softer as the distance between players increases. Surround panning helps players locate competitors spatially within the game environment.
- Realistic 3D voice communication complete with surround panning and distance attenuation
- Advanced occlusion engine that maps voices to the game environment
- Enabled voice fonts for improved role-playing
- Proprietary audio technologies to deliver a clear voice experience
- Flexible API for creative integration and game-play options